Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day 2!

Today's post brought to you by Diana and Mark.

"CTY students for oysters trip 1 were split up into 2 groups.Alex, Leilani, Kimberly, Mark, Bo, and Ryan were in one group. And the rest, Diana, Tavonda, Jose, Chris, Brenton were on another team, team Pokemon. Both teams got to experience how to navigate, steer the boat at the helm, check the boat, and watch the bow. We got to rescue something when it went overboard: a water bottle."

- Diana

"Yesterday we played games. On the boat we played "2 truths and a lie" and told funny boat stories. On our campsite I learned a camp game and later we learned a game called mafia, and played freeze tag.

On the boat a water bottle fell overboard and the whole boat turned around to go and get it. I had a net and reached forward and picked it up.

When that happened it was my watch. A watch is something LCF created so that multiple students could do every task in different shifts. One watch we did boat checks and learned terms.

Another watch learned water tests like pH, phosphate, nitrate, and salinity. It was a little bit of review for me because I did bay ecology before.

So now I hope you know I'm having fun and learning new things."

- Mark


Thanks guys! Also, per request, here are some interesting things we passed yesterday while sailing from Annapolis to Horn Point:
Bloody Point - Unfortunate young lads who were forced to work on ships were sometimes murdered and dumped here by their captors when they didn't want to give a cut of the oyster dredging or fishing profit! Thus the name.
Knapp's Narrows - A narrow channel that passes by Tilghman Island, a historic place for fishing and oyster dredging and home to some of the other skipjacks besides the Sigsbee!
Poplar Island - Used to be a natural island, but it sunk/eroded away. Now they're using sludge they've dredged up from the bottom of the river to recreate it and make a new habitat for birds and other creatures! Look for it around 2020.


All right, that's all for now. We'll be back tomorrow with an update on how our day went at the oyster lab at Horn's Point!

Cheers,

your humble RA

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, that "water bottle" should feel very special knowing that the whole boat was turned around in order to rescue it!

Horns Point is your camp site?

About how "fast" do you move? And how many miles do you usually cover in a day?

Leilani's Mom.

Cress said...

Hey Mark, So you are a man about the boat now huh?, your mom posted a message on the other blog, saying she missed you and all that mom stuff! hahah Dad says I need to stop worrying! I feel better after reading what you wrote, Kressina is having a good time in New York, The cell phones I ordered are STILL out of stock! (I may just go to the store & pick new ones!), Aunt Carol and her clan is on the way & your cousin Michelle. Miss Claudette says have a great time! she will bring William up to see you when you come back. I miss you soo much! Your Dad said I better not start babying you! But you know me! I love you son! Continue to do you! Love & Miss you like Mad!

Love mom
ps Dad says Hi. ( you know he will blog you next)

Cress said...

Say I never did comment on your getting that bottle! be careful!

love mom gotta gooooo my co-worker here says I am over doing it!

lovee Mom.

LT said...

you all are so great! your RA is the best person in the whole universe
http://www.motodom.com/universe.gif

Mavengvl said...

WOW and Double WOW

That sounds so exciting and fun and so very very adventureous. I would have never guessed it that you would do such exciting things Mark.

I love the water, the ocean and boating. I guess that is one of the reasons why I live in Florida. Make sure that you take lots and lots of pictures and when you return I will build you a great website of your trip.

Love Auntie Gail
PSS Sis its ok to be a little overboard after all he is the one and only son (smile). They are only kids once so enjoy them while you can!

Henry said...

Bohe,
Phelps is doing well at the Olympic trials; amazing races. Henry is practicing at 10:30 and doing a great job per the coaches. Henry says hi and is enjoying sleeping in your bed. I play in a tennis tournament tomorrow AM, and am ready. Hattie's too sweet and missing you.

Enjoy your day and the Fourth on the water!

Lots of love,
Mom, Dad, Henry & Hattie

Stacy said...

What's up Mark!!

It sounds like you are having a great time and learning quite a bit! You are so intelligent and we are all very proud of you! :-) I'm glad to hear you are really enjoying yourself! We are just chilling down here and it's very hot as I'm sure you already know.

Your cousins are having a great time being young adults. We are all going to Tampa for the 4th weekend. I'll have them write to you soon.

Have fun & Be safe!!

Love You & Miss you Lots!!

Auntie Stacy

Alex's Mom & Dad said...

Yo Ho, Mateys. Hope you haven't sailed to the World's End, yet. I haven't heard from you, Alex. I guess, no news is good news. You have had such great weather. I hope you are using sunscreen. (Yes, it's Mom.) We love you and think about you often.

Happy 4th of July to everyone! Here's to Freedom and Independence. Only in America can our children have such a fabulous opportunity.

Alex's Mom & Dad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alex's Mom & Dad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.