Sunday, July 8, 2007

Center for Enivronmental Science



We had a great time at Horn Point. While there we went to the AquaCulture Lab at the University of Maryland's Center for Environmental Science. We saw clown fish (Hello Nemo) and the pre-historic sturgeons that we being raised at the center but even more important to us were the oysters.


The center's goal is to put more than 350 million new spat in the Chesapeake Bay this year and we did our part. We cleaned huge tanks (they were big enough to play Ga-Ga in), cleaned the oysters (they have officially had more showers than us), and got to see what the center was doing at every stage of the oyster's lives.


We moved 200 30-lb bags of oyster shell with spat on them from the lab to the Choptank River. We got to go in the river but it was really shallow, only about three feet deep. The oysters seemed to appreciate our efforts. Here's what they had to say.


"Thank you for putting me in good water."- VALve
"Thanks to the people that helped me and my buddies move from my oyster tank to the bay."- Bubbles the Oyster
"Thank you for cleaning us up and putting us in salty water."- Squirts
"Thank you for putting me near other oysters and organizing us in the water so one day we can be free."- Shaq
"I'm thankful for the teens who cared about my health."- Fahloh
"I'm glad that the kids were willing to get muddy just to carry me to the water and save me."- Sarah Spat
"I would just like to say thank you for carrying me from my tank to the ocean so I can develop into a fine young oyster."- David the Oyster Spat
"Thanks for carrying me to the Choptank River. Thanks to you, I have a new home on an oyster shell."- Bob the Oyster

1 comment:

Earl Jr. said...

It sounds like the oysters are greatful for all of your efforts. What you guys are doing will be a great help to life in the Chesapeake Bay. I am glad to hear that you are having so much fun away from your chores at home. Well, take care, be safe and post pictures soon.